Custom Search

Sales Tips - This Popular Sales Close is Poison to Your Sale


Since I conduct sales training courses for a living I like to observe the sales techniques of salespeople when I’m making purchases. Recently I witnessed a popular sales closing technique that will kill your sales and you need to know about it.

The other Saturday my wife Mary and I were out shopping for a new television. We were planning on getting a 52 inch screen TV. We were also going to need some IT people to come out from the electronics company to set up our new TV with our computers and “other stuff” (other stuff is a technical term).

The Mike our salesman strongly encouraged us to go with their super deluxe IT set up package. My wife is very IT savvy (unlike me) and could do most of it herself so we were thinking of going with their much less expensive basic setup package. But since Mike said it was so important we get the deluxe package we hesitantly agreed.

Mike again strongly encouraged us to go with the more expensive deluxe set up. Finally in an anxious tone he said, “Just trust me.”

The “Just trust me” Translation
I was surprised by his choice of sales closing techniques, or maybe his lack of closing techniques. My instant interpretation of his “just trust me” close was there was only one reason I should buy the deluxe package. That close is what made my wife and me very comfortable with our decision to buy just the basic set up package.
By the way it’s a wonderful TV that works excellent with our system.

The Trust Account
If one of my good friends or a family member said “just trust me” I might. Even if a salesperson I have done successful business with for years said “just trust me” I might. But when this almost total stranger said “just trust me” it sounded as appealing as fingernails being scraped down a chalkboard. Mike helped us to go from a 52 inch TV to a 65 inch TV by demonstrating a better product. And believe me the 65 inch was a lot more expensive.

It’s Not Just About the Product
It does not matter if were talking about, automotive sales training, hotel sales training, insurance sales training, mortgage sales training or phone sales training. You sell with emotion and close with logic. Mike actually demonstrated some good sales skills when it came to selling us the TV. He got the selling with emotion part down good. Where his selling skills were lacking was in closing the sale with logic.

Sales Coaching Tip for the Day
So the bottom line is stay away from the too common empty closes like “just trust me.” Instead, do some research on your products. Then develop a list of strong features and benefits about your product. It now becomes a good win-win deal for all.

Automotive Sales Training Guide to Using Humor For Selling Cars
I have a friend that's a salesperson in the car business. Picture a jam packed showroom on a Saturday. My friend would get out of his cubicle wearing these silly black glasses, with the big nose and the moustache and come to the middle of the showroom and start this hilarious speech in front of everyone. He did have a talent for being a great public speaker. But a gimmick like this worked very well for him. In my experience selling, I have noticed that superstar salespeople in this business are ones that work smart, follow a plan and has a great sense of humor. All superstar salespeople are very likeable and they spend a lot of time, effort and money on educating themselves to get even better. But the ones that think there is no room for improvement, those are the ones that never grows. Learn to make a friend before you sell them something. Making a friend is the same thing as building rapport.

Be aware of getting caught up while building rapport
Doesn't it feel good when you sell a vehicle and have a happy customer because you made a friend? Well then you need to build a lot of rapport. But remember your main objective, and that's to sell a car. So try not to get emotionally involved with the customer. There is a big difference between getting emotionally involved and building rapport. Avoid believing everything that the customer tells you. If you start to sympathize for the customer then you'll have a tough time closing the deal.

Take note of this: How would you present a deal to your boss if you are emotionally attached to the customer? All you are doing is sympathizing for the customer. Selling this way impairs your judgment and your ability to properly sell the vehicle.

Everyone of your customer is buying a very expensive product when they buy a car. If you understand them then it will become easy for you to gain their trust. But don't loose track of the sale by sympathizing. Rather empathize, make a friend and sell the vehicle properly.



0 comments :: Sales Tips - This Popular Sales Close is Poison to Your Sale

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...